The Southern Scoop's Recipe of the Month
The Best Corn & Crab Bisque in Destin, Florida
With fall just around the corner, we’re looking forward to switching out our salads and chilled pasta in favor of richer dishes. Despite maintaining mild temperatures in the fall and winter on the Gulf Coast, we love warm comfort foods just as much as the next person! Of course, we’re always looking for ways to incorporate seafood into our dishes – it wouldn’t be a Southern Scoop recipe without seafood! This month, we made it our personal mission to discover the best corn & crab bisque in Destin, Florida. Our search took us to Boshamps, Louisiana Lagniappe, and even Sexton’s Seafood Market, where we grabbed some corn & crab bisque to go. Each establishment prepares its corn & crab bisque differently, but the outcome is the same: a delicious, creamy bisque that’ll leave a smile on your face with each bite.
The good news is that if you want to recreate the best corn & crab bisque in Destin, then you’ll find that it’s actually pretty simple. You can find all of the ingredients at your local grocery store. Pick up your crab meat at a local seafood market like Sexton’s, or Joe Patti’s in Pensacola and Gulf Shores Seafood in Gulf Shores. Make this recipe this fall to leave all your friends and family just as impressed as can be!
Ready? Let’s get started!
What You’ll Need:
|2 lbs (16 oz) lump of crabmeat||1 stick of butter||2 medium yellow onions, diced|
|1 qt. half & half||Whole kernel corn (1 16oz bag or 14oz can)||1 can cream corn|
|3 cloves minced garlic||1/2 cup flour||Salt, to taste|
|Black pepper, to taste||Cayenne pepper, to taste||6 cups whole milk|
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the onions and saute until transparent. Add garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes, reducing heat to medium-low.
- Create a roux with 1/2 cup of flour, adding slowly and stirring constantly. Add black pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper until you reach the desired flavor.
- Stir in the milk and half & half gradually. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low.
- Add crabmeat, whole kernel corn, and creamed corn and cover. Let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add more seasoning if desired, and enjoy!
Did you enjoy making the best corn & crab bisque in Destin? Let us know on our Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter with the hashtag #MySweetSouthern! Stay tuned to our blog for another delicious Southern Scoop recipe next month. Thanks for being part of the Southern family, and we’ll see you next time!