Ultimate Fish Tacos ~ The Southern Scoop’s Featured Recipe of the Month
Welcome to the Southern Scoop’s featured monthly recipe! It’s no surprise that here on the Gulf Coast, we love fish tacos. This summer staple can be enjoyed a variety of different ways – breaded, fried, blackened, soft shell, or hard shell. You name it, we eat it! Our Ultimate Fish Tacos recipe happens to involve grilled fish for a healthier option. In addition, the fish maintains a delicious taste and texture. What more could you ask for?
When preparing our Ultimate Fish Tacos, be sure to use a lean, white fish fillet. Some of our favorites are tilapia, mahi mahi, snapper, or halibut. Pick up your fish at any local seafood market and be sure to ask them to finely filet the fish for a faster cook time. They’ll also taste better with the marinade you’ll make down below!
Want to enjoy fish tacos but don’t have the time to make them yourself? Fortunately, you can find delicious fish tacos across all of our areas. Visit The Craft Bar in Destin or Fort Walton Beach, Red Fish Blue Fish on Pensacola Beach, or Tacky Jack’s, with locations in Orange Beach, Gulf Shores, and Fort Morgan.
Ready to make our Ultimate Fish Tacos? Let’s get started!
For the Fish:
|1 lb lean white fish fillets||Salt and black pepper, to taste||1 tsp cumin|
|8 white corn tortillas||1 minced garlic clove||1/2 tsp paprika|
|2 tbsp olive oil||1 half-tsp chili powder||1/8 tsp cayenne pepper|
The Crema Sauce:
|1/2 cup sour cream||1/3 cup mayonnaise||1 small lime, juiced (or 2 tbsp bottled lime juice)|
|1/2 tsp garlic powder||1/4 tsp salt||1/2 tsp cumin|
|1 tsp hot sauce|
And the Toppings:
|Pico de gallo||Cojita cheese||Shredded cabbage|
|Cilantro||Sliced avocado||Lime wedges|
|Red onion||Hot sauce||Shredded lettuce|
- First, lay your fish out on a plate and season both sides with salt and pepper
- Whisk together the oil, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne in a large mixing bowl. Add fish to a large Ziploc bag with the marinade. Allow the fish to sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat your grill or skillet to medium-high heat. Make sure to apply oil to the grill grates or skillet before grilling fish for 3-4 minutes on each side. Flip only once! You will know the fish is done when it begins to flake with a fork.
- Then, cook tortillas in a dry skillet for a few seconds on each side until warmed
- Transfer fish to a clean plate and rest for 3 minutes before shredding
- Lastly, serve on warm tortillas and top with the pico de gallo, cabbage, red onion, avocado, and Cojita cheese. Add cilantro, lettuce, lime wedges, and hot sauce as desired. Don’t forget the crema sauce!
We hope you like our Ultimate Fish Tacos recipe! If you’ve made and enjoyed any of our Southern Scoop recipes, then we’d love to see your creations! Tag us on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter using our hashtag #MySweetSouthern. Meanwhile, if you haven’t seen our other recipes make sure you check the Gulf Coast Blog! Since we’ve got you covered from Panama City, Florida to Gulf Shores and Fort Morgan Alabama, make sure to browse on over to our events page to find out about what’s happening in your vacation area! Thank you for being a part of the Southern family, and we’ll see you next month with another delicious quick recipe!