Southern Shrimp & Grits ~ The Southern Scoop’s Featured Recipe of the Month
Welcome back to the Southern Scoop’s Featured Recipe of the Month! This time around, we’re bringing you our classic Southern Shrimp & Grits Recipe. If you’ve spent any time in the South, then you’ll know two things: we love shrimp, and we love grits. Even more, we love when they come together to create a perfect dish.
Everyone has their opinion about the best place to get shrimp and grits – Boshamps Seafood & Oyster House in Destin, The Fish House in Pensacola (ask for the “World-Famous Grits a Ya Ya”), and Ginny Lane Bar & Grill in Orange Beach – but we’re confident that the best recipe is found right in our kitchen! Our recipe is easy, delicious, and packs a ton of flavor. Comfort food at its finest. Read on below for the scoop on Southern Shrimp & Grits, and be sure to pick up your shrimp from a local seafood market like Sexton’s Seafood Market in Destin, Joe Patti’s in Pensacola, or Fresh Market Seafood in Gulf Shores.
What You’ll Need:
|2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth||8 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped|
|2 cups 2% milk||1lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|1/3 cup butter, cubed||3 garlic cloves, minced|
|3/4 tsp salt||1 tsp blackened seasoning|
|1/2 tsp pepper||4 green onions, chopped|
|3/4 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits||1 cup shredded cheddar cheese|
- In a large saucepan, bring the chicken broth, milk, butter, salt, and pepper to a boil.
- Slowly stir in the grits and reduce heat.
- Cover and cook for 12-14 minutes or until thickened. Be sure to stir occasionally!
- Stir in cheese until melted. If you want to get fancy, add in some shredded gouda cheese for a rich, smoky flavor.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Move bacon to a plate with paper towels. Set aside 4 tsp of drippings
- Sautee the shrimp, garlic, and seasoning in the drippings until the shrimp turn pink
- Plate your shrimp over the grits and sprinkle with the green onions.
We hope you like our Southern Shrimp & Grits recipe! If you’ve made and enjoyed any of our Southern Scoop recipes, we’d love to see your creations! Tag us on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter using our hashtag #MySweetSouthern. Meanwhile, if you haven’t seen our other recipes make sure you check the Gulf Coast Blog! Since we’ve got you covered from Panama City, Florida to Gulf Shores and Fort Morgan Alabama, make sure to browse on over to our events page to find out about what’s happening in your vacation area! Thank you for being a part of the Southern family, and we’ll see you next month with another delicious quick recipe!