Southern Oysters ~ The Southern Scoop’s Recipe of the Month
The Southern Scoop is back with another delicious coastal recipe! This time, we’re bringing you a tried and true classic we know you’ll love: Southern Oysters. Oysters pack a tremendous amount of flavor and can be prepared in a myriad of ways. Baked and steamed are traditional methods, but nothing tops grilled oysters. Cooking the oysters on the grill provides a delicious flavor you won’t get out of steaming and baking.
In addition, oysters are a social food; here on the Gulf Coast, you’re more likely to find shrimp boils and oysters at a barbecue than you are steaks and burgers. You can prepare your Southern Oysters any way you like, with hot sauce and crackers, but we like ours with just a little parmesan and garlic butter. Read on below for the scoop on Southern Oysters, and be sure to pick up your oysters from a local seafood market like Sexton’s Seafood Market in Destin, Joe Patti’s in Pensacola, or Fresh Market Seafood in Gulf Shores.
What You’ll Need:
- 24 oysters (shucked on the half shell)
- 1 loaf Italian bread (sliced and charred on the grill)
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 2 lemons (zested and juiced – separate in different bowls)
- 1 bunch chopped Italian parsley
- To make the Parmesan topping, combine the Parmesan, mozzarella, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, and parsley in a bowl. Mix and set aside for later.
- To make the garlic butter, set a small pot on the stove at medium heat. Combine butter, lemon juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, chopped garlic, and granulated garlic along with 1/2 cup of water. Slowly melt and whisk ingredients until everything is combined. Lower heat to simmer and cover to keep warm.
- For the oysters: preheat a grill to 400 degrees F. Once the grill is hot, top each oyster with a generous amount of the Parmesan topping. Set the oysters on the grill and cover for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the oysters begin to color.
- Using tongs, remove the oysters from the grill and place onto a cookie sheet or heat-proof surface.
- Plate your oysters, using about six per platter. Generously ladle the melted garlic butter. Serve with grilled bread to soak up all the flavor!
We hope you like our Southern Oysters recipe! If you’ve made and enjoyed any of our Southern Scoop recipes, we’d love to see your creations! Tag us on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter using our hashtag #MySweetSouthern. Meanwhile, if you haven’t seen our other recipes make sure you check the Gulf Coast Blog! Since we’ve got you covered from Panama City, Florida to Gulf Shores and Fort Morgan Alabama, make sure to browse on over to our events page to find out about what’s happening in your vacation area! Thank you for being a part of the Southern family, and we’ll see you next month with another delicious quick recipe!