Where to Get Grilled Oysters on the Gulf Coast ~ Southern Vacation Rentals
It’s oyster season here in Florida and Alabama! It’s an old tradition to only eat oysters during the months with an “r” in the name – September through April – to ensure they are as fresh as possible. We don’t know about you, but we love oysters. They’re extremely versatile and can be enjoyed in a number of different ways, from raw to Oysters Rockafeller and everything in between. But, have you ever tried grilled oysters? Baked oysters are extremely popular, but we have to say that grilled takes the cake every time. Here are some of our favorite places to get grilled oysters on the Gulf Coast:
- Acme Oyster House in Destin
- Shunk Gulley Oyster Bar on 30A
- Bayou on the Beach in Panama City Beach
- Cobalt, The Restaurant in Orange Beach
- Original Oyster House in Gulf Shores
If you’re feeling adventurous and want to make grilled oysters yourself, you’ll be surprised at how easy it is. You’ll need to pick up some oysters from your local seafood market. Everything else can be found at your local grocery store. Whether you are cooking from home or in your Gulf Coast vacation rental, you can enjoy oysters from just about anywhere!
Ready? Let’s get started.
Makes: 16 oysters
- 16 whole live oysters
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp finely minced parsley
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup parmesan, optional
Let’s Get Cookin’!
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the olive oil, butter, and garlic. Sautee until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the lemon juice, chili pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and parsley. Turn off the heat and transfer to a medium-sized bowl.
- Set your oysters directly on hot grill grates. Cover the grill and cook until the oysters open, about 5-6 minutes. Using tongs, transfer to a platter while making sure not to spill any of the liquid from inside.
- Quickly but gently, remove the top shells and loosen the oysters. Top off each oyster with the parsley butter and return to the grill. This part should only take about one minute.
- Serve and enjoy!
We hope you enjoyed our recipe for grilled oysters! Visit our blog to see what else we’re cooking up. With new coastal recipes each month, you’re sure to find a favorite!