Coastal Key Lime Pie ~ The Southern Scoop’s Recipe of the Month
We’ve delivered delicious seafood recipes for the last few months, but with the warmer weather on the Gulf Coast, we couldn’t wait to bring you a delightfully cool treat. Although key lime pie originated in Key West, Florida in 1855, it’s been a coastal favorite for as long as we can remember. Key lime pie can be prepared a number of different ways, sometimes even made with mango puree or greek yogurt. Serve it as a parfait, fro-yo pops, or in truffles – this recipe is completely customizable! However, our favorite recipe is in its tried-and-true pie form, with a heavenly graham cracker crust and garnished with plenty of lime. Try our Coastal Key Lime Pie recipe at your next family get-together, whether you’re on a vacation in Destin, Florida or gathered around the dinner table at home.
For the true pie connoisseur, you’re sure to find this delicious pie at just about any restaurant or grocery store across our areas. The Donut Hole in Destin is famous for its key lime pie, while others would argue that Hemingway’s on Pensacola Beach serves an unforgettable slice. Over in Orange Beach, Hope’s Cheesecake offers traditional, gluten-free, and reduced sugar key lime pie. Of course, just about anyone native to the Gulf Coast would agree that your local Publix Grocery Store is a top contender for delicious key lime pie as well. Read on below for how to create this coastal classic yourself!
What You’ll Need:
|1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs||Two 14-oz cans sweetened condensed milk||1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream|
|1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar||2 large eggs||1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar|
|1/4 cup melted butter||1 cup key lime or regular lime juice||Lime twists to garnish|
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- In a medium-size bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and melted butter. Transfer mixture into a 9″ pie pan and press into bottom and up the sides.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and lime juice. Pour into the cooled crust.
- Bake until set or about 10 minutes. Transfer back to the cooling rack and allow to cool completely!
- In another medium-size bowl, beat the cream and confectioners’ sugar with an electric mixer at a high speed until stiff peaks form. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Spread whipped cream over pie and garnish with lime slices. You can also add almonds, coconut flakes, and more to make your pie uniquely you!
We hope you like our Coastal Key Lime Pie recipe! If you’ve made and enjoyed any of our Southern Scoop recipes, then we’d love to see your creations! Tag us on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter using our hashtag #MySweetSouthern. Meanwhile, if you haven’t seen our other recipes make sure you check the Gulf Coast Blog! Since we’ve got you covered from Panama City, Florida to Gulf Shores and Fort Morgan Alabama, make sure to browse on over to our events page to find out about what’s happening in your vacation area! Thank you for being a part of the Southern family, and we’ll see you next month with another delicious quick recipe!